Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 1, Part 2: A Whale of a Time

In an unfortunate turn of events, internet is not free in our hotel. Boo! So I will update as frequently as I can escape to a place with internet.

I emerged from the plane, wrestled my giant carry-on bag to the shuttle stand, and met some very nice people headed to the AHA. Statistically, many of the people around me are historians, and I just don’t know it. In the coming days, I hope to meet at least a handful of them.

Jordan and Jen had already arrived in San Diego, and invited me to go whale-watching with them. After scurrying to the hotel, dropping off bags, and zooming off in a taxi to the seaport, I boarded the Hornblower Adventure in search of Pacific Gray Whales, which Californians insist on calling California Gray Whales.

We had a very excellent time. We saw three whales in addition to many Pacific white-sided dolphins, sea lions, cormorants, brown pelicans, and many more seabirds. If I didn’t get to do any more touristy things in San Diego, I would still be content.

We then proceeded to eat delicious barbeque. In the evening, my hotel roommate Sarah arrived, and we went to bed at 10:00. Our bodies are clearly not adjusted to the new time zone. In the morning we’ll have some time to wander around before the conference gets going at 3. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment